I love summertime reading. There is something magical about reading under the shade of a tree. Floating in a pool with a book is almost meditative. And I always bring a book with me on vacation. The husband laughs because I am the only person he knows who gets excited about going to a new place, just to read. However, not just any book makes the cut. Just like with fashion, (because really, you don’t where boots and a big comfy sweater in July) there are certain books that are perfect for the season. Here are my must have summer books:
- Beautiful Ruins. Lost romance, the Italian coast, and second chances. I think my favorite memory of this book was reading it in a hammock by the pool. This is a beautiful book that will transport you to the Mediterranean with its raw emotion and amazing imagery.
- The Mad Man’s Daughter This retelling of the Island of Doctor Moreau, is creepy and suspenseful. Did I mention creepy? Because this book has a very creepy, in a neo Gothic sort of way. You know, the kind that makes you want to crawl under the covers with a flashlight and hope to God that the bump you heard was just the dog….
- Circling the Sun The story of one of the most misunderstood people of the 1920’s has this magnificent epic feel of a classic movie with its picturesque African landscape. I will admit, every time I hear the Taylor Swift song, “Wildest Dreams,” I think of this book. Plus, when it is over one hundred degrees outside you can just pretend you are in Kenya with the rest of the characters…it’s called immersion.
- In a Dark Dark Wood Every summer needs a page turning, up all night suspense filled thriller and this book has that in spades. Every summer there are books designated for the pool. I like to spend my afternoons reading and floating. So let me just say, I was a prune by the time I was ready to set this book down. It is just that suspenseful.
- Water for Elephants A beautiful romance perfect for getting swept away by the beach. This one was read during lazy weekend afternoons dreaming about running away with the circus.